March 15, 1827, King's College - the precursor to the University of
Toronto - was granted its royal charter by King George IV. Throughout
2002, U of T celebrated 175 years of Great Minds. As part of the
celebration, the U of T website featured excerpts from The
University of Toronto: A History, written by Martin Friedland, University
Professor and Professor Emeritus of Law at U of T.
10, 1889, an order in council was approved, permitting the establishment
of a law faculty at the University. The university law course attracted
only a handful of LLB students each year - the graduates included Chief
Justice Lyman Duff, Prime Minister Mackenzie King, and Clara Brett Martin,
the first woman barrister in the British Empire. Many arts students,
however, took individual law courses as part of their BA.
an LLM was introduced. The LLB program could not compete with Osgoode
Hall Law School, and Toronto therefore had a very small undergraduate
body in comparison with the hundreds at Osgoode Hall Law School. The
University's LLB graduates still had to spend three years at Osgoode
before they could practise. The 1906 royal commission recommended that
arrangements be made with the Law Society to avoid duplication of work,
but once again the Law Society was not interested.
continuing tension between those who advocated the teaching of law as
an academic discipline and those who advocated practical on-the-job
training. It was not until 1957 that the Law Society would give up its
monopoly on professional legal education in the province.
pharmacy building on Gerrard Street East, constructed in 1887 and
since then demolished; pharmacy did not move to the campus until
however, such as dentistry and pharmacy, valued their association with
the University. As the historians of education R.D. Gidney and W.P.J.
Millar state, "in social terms lawyers had the least to gain from
a university professional school and would be the least tainted by establishing
one of their own, independent of the universities."
however, were eager to improve their status and prestige. Many dentists,
for example, found it embarrassing that 8-by-12 foot advertisements
emphasizing cheap dentistry could be found on all major roads entering
Toronto. A university affiliation would certainly make dentistry seem
more of a learned profession, just as would the decision taken by the
college of dentistry to make Latin an entrance requirement.
were eager to improve their status and prestige.
College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario had been running its own school
since 1875. In 1888, it affiliated with the University. Some of the
science courses could now be taught by the University. The college still
ran the dentistry program, which increased in length from two to three
years in 1890 and was responsible for all aspects of the college, including
the awarding of licences to practise; but a student could also take
the prescribed university exams and be awarded a doctor of dental surgery
degree. In 1889, 25 students received the degree, the first such awarded
of dentistry moved closer to the University, opening a new dental school
in 1896 on the south side of College Street, east of University Avenue.
In 1903, the length of the course was increased from three to four years.
The college was forced once again to move to a new location when, in
1907, its property was purchased by the Toronto General Hospital, which
planned to move from its east-end location to a site closer to the University.
the college of dentistry opened a five-storey building on the north-east
corner of College and Huron streets, now occupied by the faculty of
architecture. One can still see clearly the word "Infirmary"
above the Huron Street entrance, and - though they are difficult to
make out - the words "Royal College of Dental Surgeons" over
the College Street entrance.
dentistry building on the north side of College Street at Huron
Street, now the building of the faculty of architecture.