Helen Hogg - Astronomer and Faculty Stephen Leacock - Humorist and Graduate Elsie MacGill - Engineer and Graduate
Transparent Spacer
University of Toronto
U of T Great Past

Transparent Spacer

 


Photo: Michael Visser
 

 

Applied Art
Like a ribbon saved from a long-forgotten gift box, the terra-cotta and sandstone frieze at the entrance to the Galbraith building is all that remains of the "Little Red Schoolhouse."

This was the name affectionately given to the School of Practical Science building, erected in 1877 and demolished in 1966, on the site where the Medical Sciences Building now stands.

The nostalgic souvenir was rescued by SPS - the forerunner of today's Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering - and brought to the Galbraith grounds, where, mysterious and monolithic, it lay waiting. It was added to the entrance way after Leonard Grime (BASc 1926) tripped over it on the grass. He persuaded his former classmates to finance the restoration and installation of the 14-foot remnant as a class project to commemorate the 50th anniversary of their graduation. The beauty and intricacy of the one remaining architectural detail cause passers-by to stop and wonder what the rest of this castle must have looked like.


Back to Virtual Museum
 
Transparent SpacerTransparent Spacer
Transparent Spacer
Transparent Spacer