Completed in 1856, St. Basil’s Church and its attached
college are the oldest unchanged buildings on campus. Clover
Hill, where the church stands, was considered prime property
because of its access to Yonge Street and elevation over
surrounding swampland. Originally intended as the site of
King’s College, the land was later offered to the
Jesuits and finally to the Basilians, who started work on
the simple church when they took over the land in 1853.