The original, west wing of the museum, a three-storey Byzantine
building of brick and terracotta, opened in 1914 with its
entrance on Bloor Street. When the collection outgrew the
museum, another wing was designed by Alfred Chapman (architect
of Knox College) and opened on Queen’s Park in 1933.
In the mid-1960s, the ROM separated from the university
in order to attract its own funding from the government
and the private sector.