Image of Interactive Map
Title for Map Key
  1- 1 Spadina
2 - Knox College
3 - Convocation Hall
4 - University College
5 - Mining Building

  6 - Observatory
7 - Sigmund Samuel
8 - Soldier’s Tower
9 - Hart House

10 - Trinity
  11 - ROM
12 - Household Sciences
13 - Victoria College
14 - St. Basil’s
Title Take The Tour

Photo of the Observatory

Observatory
Built in the 1850s, the observatory vies with St. Basil’s Church for the title of the oldest building on campus. Designed as a magnetic observatory, it became obsolete as early as the 1890s due to air pollution and electrification of the street cars on College Street. The building was moved from its original location south-east of Convocation Hall in 1908 (same stones, slightly different design) to make room for King’s College Road, and now serves as the offices of the Students’ Administrative Council.

Blank Spacer
 
U of T Logo
 
*Much of the above information comes from The University of Toronto: A History by
University Professor Emeritus Martin Friedland of the Faculty of Law.