Image of Interactive Map
Title for Map Key
  1- 1 Spadina
2 - Knox College
3 - Convocation Hall
4 - University College
5 - Mining Building

  6 - Observatory
7 - Sigmund Samuel
8 - Soldier’s Tower
9 - Hart House

10 - Trinity
  11 - ROM
12 - Household Sciences
13 - Victoria College
14 - St. Basil’s
Title Take The Tour

Photo of the Mining Building

Mining Building
In 1901, when 200 engineering U of T students petitioned the provincial government for more funding, the government responded in part by funding the Chemistry and Mining Building. Later redubbed the Mining Building, it opened in 1904 on the north side of College Street at a cost of $200,000, and more than doubled the space available to engineering.

Blank Spacer
 
U of T Logo
 
*Much of the above information comes from The University of Toronto: A History by
University Professor Emeritus Martin Friedland of the Faculty of Law.